||11 years ago|
|bin||12 years ago|
|libexec||12 years ago|
|share||11 years ago|
Read about the project goals at the "project home page":https://gitian.org/ .
This package can do a deterministic build of a package inside a VM.
Deterministic build inside a VM
This performs a build inside a VM, with deterministic inputs and outputs. If the build script takes care of all sources of non-determinism (mostly caused by timestamps), the result will always be the same. This allows multiple independent verifiers to sign a binary with the assurance that it really came from the source they reviewed.
sudo apt-get install python-vm-builder qemu-kvm apt-cacher sudo service apt-cacher start
Create the base VM for use in further builds (requires sudo, please review the script):
Copy any additional build inputs into a directory named inputs.
Then execute the build using a YAML description file (can be run as non-root):
or if you need to specify a commit for one of the git remotes:
bin/gbuild --commit <dir>=<hash> <package>.yml
The resulting report will appear in result/<package>-res.yml
To sign the result, perform:
bin/gsign --signer <signer> --release <release-name> <package>.yml
Where is your signing PGP key ID and is the name for the current release. This will put the result and signature in the sigs//. The sigs/ directory can be managed through git to coordinate multiple signers.
After you've merged everybody's signatures, verify them:
bin/gverify --release <release-name> <package>.yml
- Log files are captured to the var directory
- You can run the utilities in libexec by running
- To start the target VM run
start-target 32 lucid-i386or
start-target 64 lucid-amd64
- To ssh into the target run
on-target -u root
- On the target, the build directory contains the code as it is compiled and install contains intermediate libraries
- By convention, the script in <package>.yml starts with any environment setup you would need to manually compile things on the target
- disable sudo in target, just in case of a hypervisor exploit
- tar and other archive timestamp setter